The House Cup is a yearly award at Hogwarts. It is given at the end of the school year to the House with the most House points. Points are given to Houses by teachers and prefects throughout the year for various things including answering questions correctly and doing good deeds. The winner of the Quidditch Cup also receives points. Points can be taken away for things such as misbehaving.
Giant and enchanted hourglasses in the entrance hall keep track of the House Points. The hourglasses are filled with different jewels for each house - Gryffindor's are rubies, Ravenclaw's sapphires, Slytherin's emeralds and Hufflepuff's another yellow gem (likely topaz).
- 1984-1985 - Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw
- 1985-1986 - Slytherin
- 1986-1987 - Slytherin
- 1987-1988 - Slytherin
- 1988-1989 - Slytherin
- 1989-1990 - Slytherin
- 1990-1991 - Slytherin
- 1991-1992 - Gryffindor
- 1992-1993 - Gryffindor
- 1993-1994 - Gryffindor
- 1994-1995 - unknown (possibly not awarded)
- 1995-1996 - unknown (possibly Slytherin)
- 1996-1997 - Gryffindor in the lead (unknown if the cup was presented)
- 1997-1998 - unknown
Behind the scenesEdit
- Due to events that befall Hogwarts and its students in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and due to the death of Headmaster Dumbledore near the end of the school year in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, it cannot be said with certainty that the House Cup was awarded those years. The only film to make an issue of the House Cup was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
- The House Cup marks an important development of tone in the series. It is of considerable importance in the first book, with Harry feeling devastated to have put Gryffindor in last place after being caught out of bed. With each proceeding book, it is pushed further into the background (the winner not even being revealed after book 3), paralleling the main characters maturing and caring about more important issues.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)