|Ted Remus Lupin|
|Also known as||
Able to be changed at will (usually a tealish blue)
Able to be changed at will
Ted Remus "Teddy" Lupin (b. April of 1998), was the son and only child of Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks. He was a Metamorphmagus like his mother, as was shown when his hair changed colour all the time as a baby (including at least twice from black to ginger and from an unknown colour to turquoise). He was named after Nymphadora's father, Ted Tonks, who was killed shortly before his birth, and his father Remus who was killed during the Battle of Hogwarts. Harry Potter was named as his godfather.
On 1 September, 2017, Teddy came to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters to see off Victoire Weasley, with whom he was in a romantic relationship. It was remarked that it would be nice if he was an official member of the Potter/Weasley family. Of the three Potter children, he seemed to be the closest with the youngest, Lily. She didn't laugh at his relationship with Victoire Weasley, unlike her brother James. Lily very much hoped Victoire and Teddy would get married so that he would become a real part of their family.
Teddy's mother and father were killed by Death Eaters Bellatrix Lestrange and Antonin Dolohov, respectively, during the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving their son an orphan. Teddy was thus brought up by his maternal grandmother, Andromeda Tonks, and saw a lot of the Potter and Weasley families, visiting at least four times a week for dinner.
On his mother's side, Teddy is also related to the Black and Malfoy families; Narcissa Malfoy is his great-aunt, making Draco Malfoy his first cousin once removed and Scorpius Malfoy his second cousin. His mother's murderer, the late Bellatrix Lestrange, is also his great-aunt.
- "Ted" is a short form of the names Theodore and Edward.  Theodore is derived from Greek Θεόδωρος meaning "gift of God" and was the name of many Christian saints.  Edward is derived from the Old English words ead, meaning "blessed", and weard, meaning "guard", and has been the name of many members of the English nobility and royalty. 
- The name "Remus" comes from the brothers Romulus and Remus, the legendary brothers who fought in their adulthood, and of whom Romulus became the founder of Rome, who were raised by wolves. Interestingly, Romulus was the codename used by Ted's father on Potterwatch.
- "Lupin" derives from the Latin lupe meaning "pain". Although it sounds like lupus, meaning "wolf", these two words are unconnected.
Behind the scenes
- Luke Newberry was cast as Ted Lupin in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, but he was cut from the ending of the film and he is only mentioned by Harry to Lupin. He may appear in a deleted scene.
- Teddy's origins are supposed to reflect Harry's, who lost both of his parents to Voldemort as well. However, unlike Harry, Teddy grows up in a new and safe world, surrounded by loving family and friends.
- It is unknown which House Teddy was Sorted into, but he has close relatives in at least three of the four Houses: his father was a Gryffindor, his mother was a Hufflepuff, and his grandmother who raised him was a Slytherin.
- It is interesting to note that both Neville and Teddy's respective predicaments involved Bellatrix Lestrange. Neville's parents were tortured by Bellatrix, while Teddy's mother Tonks was killed by Bellatrix.
- Both Teddy and Victoire Weasley have fathers who were attacked by the werewolf Fenrir Greyback.
- Rowling stated that part of the reason she wrote the epilogue was to inform many eventual heartbroken readers that although Teddy never really knew his parents, he was surrounded by friends and family that cared deeply for him and had a pleasant childhood.
- Both Teddy and Victoire have mothers with unique traits related to their physical appearances; Fleur Delacour has Veela blood, and Nymphadora Tonks was a Metamorphmagus.
- Victoire and Teddy are fourth cousins once removed, as both are distant descendants of Phineas Nigellus Black.
- Ted is named after Ted Tonks, his maternal grandfather.
- Following Teddy's birth, Remus Lupin stated to the occupants of Shell Cottage that Teddy had changed his hair colour from black to ginger in the hour since he had been born. This suggests that Teddy's natural hair colour could in fact be black like that of his great aunt Bellatrix and first cousin twice removed, Sirius Black.
- In a Privet Drive scene at the beginning of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Tonks almost announces that she is pregnant with Teddy before she is interrupted by Mad-Eye Moody
- Teddy does not appear in any of the deleted scenes on the Deathly Hallows part 2 DVD but he is mentioned by his nickname by his father Remus when Tonks arrives at Hogwarts to help her husband fight and Tonks mentions that Teddy snores like his father.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ J.K. Rowling and the Live Chat, Bloomsbury.com, July 30, 2007
- ↑ JK Rowling web chat, 30th July
- ↑ Behind the Name: Ted
- ↑ Behind the Name: Theodore
- ↑ Behind the Name: Edward
- ↑ http://ajmanagement.co.uk/clientDetail.asp?intClientID=157
- ↑ J.K. Rowling: I wanted to kill parents, MSBNC.com interview, 29th July 2007
- ↑ Black family tree